- About Us
- Shades of Green Congregations
- Read More About...
- Upcoming Events
- Newsletter Archives
- Join Us
Every Creature Singing:
Embracing the Good News for Planet Earth
Every Creature Singing is an adult curriculum for congregations, small groups or individuals who want to explore questions like these:
- What guidance does the Christian faith offer on issues like climate change and environmental injustice?
- Where, in our circle of influence, is creation struggling, and what can we do about it?
- How can we as a community be faithful in pursuing spiritual and household practices that help us care for the earth?
The curriculum can be downloaded or read online, free of charge. Please start with the introduction because the curriculum does have a few unique features.
See the complete outline Interested in a Spanish translation?
Curriculum Structure and Format
Every Creature Singing is divided into three units of four sessions each.
- Biblical and Theological Foundations
- Pursuing Peace and Justice
- Choosing A Simple Lifestyle
The thirteenth session is left open to be used at the congregation’s discretion.
Each session includes:
- suggested scripture passages,
- a reflective essay and discussion questions,
- suggested spiritual practices and household practices,
- circle questions that focus on the group's surrounding neighborhood
- additional resources
The leader’s guide offers goals and teaching ideas for shaping each session.
While we provide material for a traditional quarter-long, one-hour Christian education, we hope people will feel free to be creative in adapting this material to fit their time slot and group. Suggestions for other approaches are described in the introductory material.
In July 2013, Mennonite Creation Care Network proposed a resolution to the delegates gathered at Mennonite Church USA’s biennial convention. The resolution called all Mennonite congregations to study creation care within their own ecological and social contexts during the next two years. The resolution passed, and Every Creature Singing was created to aid congregations in fulfilling this commitment.
Read the resolution
While this curriculum was developed with the Mennonite Church USA in mind, we hope it can serve a broader community as well. If you are from another denomination, please be gracious in tolerating our references to Mennonites!
Make a donation to help with our website costs or the cost of a Spanish translation of Every Creature Singing.